Intimate Surgery - Methods, Procedure, Risks
A symmetrical appearance of the inner and outer labia and a generally young and firm appearance of the genital area are becoming increasingly important for many women. However, after pregnancy or with increasing age, unwanted changes can occur in the intimate area of many women, which disturb the individual ideal of beauty: This includes not only sagging and asymmetrically shaped labia, but also sagging muscles of the vaginal wall.
ATTENTION: Everyone is unique. This means that the treatment process, planning and outcomes can be different for you. The information you see here is the averages encountered in a large sample size. For details please contact us via WhatsApp: +49 170 5473999
Our labio- and vaginoplasty-trained and experienced plastic surgeons offer various intimate surgical procedures:
- Labiaplasty (labiaplasty): If the patient wishes to have a labiaplasty, this is often due to existing asymmetries or differences in size between the inner and outer labia that are perceived as unaesthetic. A loss of volume, especially of the labia majora, can also disturb the overall esthetic appearance. We reduce the inner labia and model the outer labia.
- Vagina rejuvenation (vaginoplasty): Especially after pregnancy, the muscle wall of the vagina may be flaccid or the vagina enlarged. This can reduce the pleasure gain during sexual intercourse for affected women. In a surgical vagina plastic surgery, our surgeons tighten your vagina by strengthening the muscle tone and removing excess skin.
- Hymen Reconstruction: For cultural or social reasons, an intact hymen may be important. In our beauty clinics we therefore also offer hymen reconstruction.
Procedure of an intimate surgical intervention
An intimate surgical procedure can be useful if the appearance of the vagina has serious effects on self-confidence. Occasionally, anatomical conditions may lead to pain or limited movement, or the patient's sexual experience may suffer. Regardless of which intimate surgical treatment you book with us, you can always rely on the following services:
- An intimate surgical procedure only takes place after a detailed examination and consultation: Your health is at the centre of our attention, therefore our genital surgeons discuss every operation with you and consider your personal wishes and goals.
- A transparent treatment plan with a detailed list of all individual steps gives you peace of mind. You decide which operations are to be performed and to what extent and when. Of course, our specialists will also inform you comprehensively about possible risks and side effects. Only if there are no health or ethical concerns do we perform the desired procedure at your site.
- All treatments are carried out by experienced plastic surgeons. They have been specially trained for labio- and vaginoplasty and have a lot of experience in their field.
- The intimate surgical procedures take place under general or partial anaesthesia, so the operations are painless. Slight pain during the healing phase can easily be treated with painkillers and usually subsides after a few hours or days.
- Cigarettes should not be consumed as early as 1 week before the operation and for a certain period afterwards, as they can seriously interfere with wound healing. Before the operation, stimulating drinks such as tea and coffee should be avoided as well as the intake of blood-thinning medication.
- Our surgeons are extremely cautious when it comes to intimate corrections: After an operation, neither sexual sensory disturbances nor sensory disturbances of the clitoris are to be expected.
- After intimate surgery, care should be taken to ensure thorough hygiene in the treated area. Sport and sexual intercourse should also be avoided in the first 4 weeks after the operation. Our plastic surgeons will give you detailed advice after the operation on the correct execution of sitting baths and other measures to support wound healing.
Free initial consultation
The inner and outer labia show an enormous variability in their appearance and size. Due to aging, pregnancy or genetic predisposition, the elasticity of the labia decreases in almost all women. This is often perceived as unattractive. Genetically caused asymmetry, in which the labia minora or labia majora are uneven in shape and size, is also perceived as disturbing.
Finally, the difference in size between the inner and outer labia can be so great that the labia minora protrude while standing, which often disturbs the individual's desired image. With particularly pronounced forms, irritating pain can arise during sporting activity, cycling or sexual intercourse.
We offer you different methods to shape, tighten and adjust the size of inner and outer labia.
Reduction of the labia minora (labia minora)
The fact that the inner labia sink by up to 2 cm in the course of time is part of the natural development of every woman. However, in patients who decide to reduce the labia minora, the labia can also sag by up to 6 cm. In an operative reduction of the labia minora, excess skin is therefore removed in order to achieve an even appearance and to prevent protrusion from the labia majora.
- First, the labia minora are measured and the skin parts to be removed are drawn in. Here it is important that a harmonious overall result can be achieved at the end. Depending on the degree of sagging, individual anatomy and desired treatment result, it may therefore be necessary to correct the clitoral mantle.
- In the vast majority of cases, the treatment is carried out under local anesthesia. If you suffer from severe nervousness before the operation, our experienced anaesthetists can also inject you with a sedative. If you wish, the procedure can be performed under general anesthesia. In any case, the procedure itself is painless for you.
- The excess skin of the inner labia is removed along the lines previously drawn in. The cut edges are then closed with self-dissolving sutures and supplied with a special tissue adhesive. The sutures dissolve themselves after the healing process is complete and do not have to be removed manually.
- The surgical wounds usually heal completely after a few days. However, sports, sexual intercourse or a permanent pressure load due to sitting should be avoided for up to 4 weeks in order to support the healing process and to allow any swelling to heal completely.
Modelling the labia majora (labia majora)
For a harmonious overall picture of the vagina, not only the size and shape of the inner labia but also the composition of the outer labia are essential. However, after a great loss of weight and due to the natural aging process, the labia minora can be significantly lowered and lose volume. However, the outer labia can be modelled and optically adapted to the personal ideal using various surgical or minimally invasive methods.
The labia majora can either be corrected in a separate operation or treated together with the labia minora in a combined procedure. The type and extent of the intervention always depend on the individual initial situation and the desired result.
- If the outer labia are slack, the excess tissue is surgically removed. For this purpose, the labia are also precisely measured. In an incision along the fold of the labia minora, the excess skin is removed and the incision lines are provided with self-releasing sutures and tissue adhesive.
- For a targeted shaping or a compensation of the volume loss of the labia minora an injection of autologous fat (lipofilling) is possible additionally - or also as sole therapy. First, autologous fat is extracted from a suitable region of the body (usually on the outside of the thighs or on the abdomen) and specially prepared. The fat is then injected using a thin cannula to model the flaccid labia.
- If the outer labia are to be reduced in size, we perform liposuction in the affected area.
- The correction of the labia minora as well as the liposuction and injection take place under local anaesthesia. The procedure is therefore as painless as possible.
- After the operation, the treated area should be cooled for several hours to prevent excessive swelling. In order not to endanger the smooth healing process, you should refrain from sports and sexual intercourse for up to 4 weeks.
- All operations to model the outer labia are performed under local anaesthesia. On request, we can also offer general anaesthesia.
Risks of labiaplasty
The reduction and modelling of the labia minora and labia minora is one of the most frequently requested cosmetic corrections and generally proceeds without complications. Swelling or numbness immediately after the operation usually disappears within a very short time. For this purpose, the intimate area should be cooled for a few hours. However, as with all surgical and minimally invasive procedures, risks cannot be completely ruled out. These risks mainly affect wound healing, as this is always linked to the individual requirements of the patient.
In order not to endanger wound healing, mechanical stress such as riding, cycling or jogging should be avoided between 4 and 6 weeks after the procedure. Sexual intercourse should also take place after about this time: Although the sutures are usually closed a few hours after the operation, their final stability and resilience only develop after several weeks. This also prevents asymmetric scarring.
Since the biological structure of the outer and especially the inner labia is adapted to a natural, permanent bacterial colonization, infections do not usually occur. In order not to irritate the fresh seams excessively, however, it should only be showered with commercially available soap after 3 days. Medical sitting baths support the healing process. If you suffer from regularly recurring urinary tract infections, please contact us before the procedure.
Vaginal rejuvenation (vaginoplasty)
During the natural aging process, the skin loses elasticity and flexibility throughout the body. This also affects the tissue of the vagina wall: skin and muscle tissue are no longer as supple and firm with increasing age, which can lead to an impairment of sexual pleasure. When a child is born, the walls of the vagina are also extremely stretched. Even with disciplined regression gymnastics, however, a tight condition can usually not be completely restored.
In order to tighten the tissue, the vagina can be rejuvenated with a vaginoplasty. In addition, the vaginal canal can be narrowed by two different procedures: Either by the removal of excess skin parts (vaginal tightening) or by injection with autologous fat (vaginal narrowing). When which method is used depends above all on the individual physical starting position and the desired treatment goal.
- Before the procedure, you will be thoroughly examined by our specialists. This not only determines the exact degree of slackening, but also ensures your physical suitability for the operation.
- If the vaginal rejuvenation is to be achieved by tightening the existing tissue, the muscles of the vagina wall are first tightened to the desired position and sutured to a certain diameter, excess skin is removed. This tightens and softens the entire muscle tone of the vagina. The method is primarily used when the sagging of the vaginal walls has already progressed.
- If the muscle tissue of the vaginal canal is still relatively supple and only a narrowing is to be achieved, this can be done by injecting the patient's own fat. For this purpose, fat is sucked off in advance at suitable places (preferably on the stomach, bottom or thighs) and prepared for injection. The patient's own fat is then injected into the vaginal walls: The volume gain narrows the vaginal canal.
- The treatment takes place under general anesthesia and is usually painless.
Risks of vaginal rejuvenation
Vaginal rejuvenation is a complex surgical procedure performed under general anesthesia. Normally, the procedure is performed without complications. However, despite the fact that the operation is performed perfectly by our specialists, risks cannot be completely excluded. A conscientious wound care and rest period for the treated areas is therefore essential.
Recovery is accompanied by pain and numbness in the first few days. However, these symptoms subside quickly and can be well treated with painkillers. Even slight bleeding and a temporary loss of sensitivity are not worrying. If the bleeding becomes stronger, we advise you to consult a doctor. The sutures dissolve by themselves at the end of the recovery period and do not need to be removed again.
In order not to endanger the healing process, sports, long walks and sexual intercourse should be avoided for at least 6 to 8 weeks. Our beauty experts will be happy to answer your questions about correct menstrual hygiene after vaginal rejuvenation in detail.
Hymen reconstruction (restoration of the hymen)
The female hymen is a fine annular membrane at the entrance to the vagina. After the first sexual intercourse, during sports or occasionally through the insertion of a tampon, the hymen tears into a star shape or is pushed aside.
For cultural or religious reasons, however, an intact hymen may be preferred for marriage. Surgical intervention usually makes it easy to restore the hymen. Which procedure is used for the reconstruction always depends on the respective physical condition.
- If skin villi of the original hymen are still left, they are carefully separated with a laser scalpel and then neatly sewn together.
- If there is not enough skin material left for reconstruction, skin is removed from the rear part of the vagina and used to build up a second hymen.
- The procedure is performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia and is usually painless. The sutures used to close the wound are self-dissolving. The fine sutures are additionally fixed with a tissue adhesive.
- After the operation, sport and sexual intercourse should be avoided for at least 6 weeks. The use of a tampon for menstrual hygiene should also only be used again when the renewed defloration has taken place as desired, as otherwise the new hymen could also tear down again.
Risks of hymen reconstruction
As a rule, the procedure to restore the hymen proceeds without complications. However, as with any surgical procedure, risks and side effects cannot be completely ruled out. However, compliance with the recommended resting period and conscientious intimate hygiene are essential for a trouble-free healing process.
After the operation there may be slight tension pains, which, however, subside a few hours or days after the operation. To prevent the cuticle from tearing again during the healing phase, physically strenuous activities and friction in the genital area, such as prolonged walking, should be avoided. In order to avoid unnecessary irritation of the fine membrane or infections, shower only with clear and lukewarm water during the first 5 days after the operation. After 3 days, sitting baths with chamomile are highly recommended.
After the reconstruction of the hymen, it may be slightly firmer. During the first intimate contact after the restoration, the partner should therefore proceed with particular caution so that sexual intercourse is pleasant for both sides.